Sunday, April 19, 2009

Home Improvement

Summer is quickly approaching...34 days of school left to be exact!  (but who's counting??)

After we moved in our house, I was super excited at first to get everything decorated and set up!  I did some stuff, but then busyness took over and I've let house stuff sit on the back burner for too long!  This summer I want to work on the house more.  We still have a spare room that is painted bright green with a bright green stripe around the walls because it was the previous owners' baby room...still needs to be painted!

I am not the greatest at decorating, choosing colors, knowing the "rules" of matching rooms with bathrooms in the house...or gardening.  So, I'm asking for your help!  Here are a few questions!  Feel free to respond to all of these or just a few!  I know some of you have skill in this area!
1.  Our spare bathroom is in between our two spare rooms.  Do the colors in this bathroom need to coordinate with the bedding in the spare bedroom? 
2.  What are some good stores with reasonable home decor prices?  I know about Kirklands and Home Goods...any others you like?  
3.  What do you do with a big blank wall?  What are some ideas for things to hang on a huge wall?  
4.  If our flower beds already have a liner to keep weeds out, do we just need to buy top soil to re-do them?  
5.  What kinds of flowers are good to grow in a flower bed that will make it through summer?

These might seem silly, but any help is definitely appreciated!  :)  Let the home projects begin!

5 comments:

mark said...

Loving the DIY attitude. I can't wait for us to get our place to do the same. Here's my two cents. You can't beat IKEA prices. Big walls=big art or you can always go with a big giant fork and spoon 46th ST style :) You should be able to just poke holes and plant things through the liner. I would think the only way you would redo it is if the top soil doesn't look good cosmetically. No clue on the flowers. We're coming to SA the last week in May and need to hang out with you guys!

Jana said...

Check out Hobby Lobby for wall decor. I buy wall decor from there all the time and it's always running half off. They are half off this week and probably will be again in a couple weeks. Just watch the ads and you can check it on their website. That's what I always do. They have some cute things you could probably hang on a massive wall...I was looking through the stuff yesterday, but frankly I'm out of space in my house to hang anything else unless I want a cluttered mess.

Also, the extra bathroom...is it connected to the spare rooms at all? What colors are you doing in the spare rooms? You could always go neutral. My bathroom in the hall is the same colors as my living room.

Christina said...

Watch that tv show-Extreme Home Makeover. They build the most amazing homes and I'm always saying, "man, if I had my own house I would totally do THAT to it!" haha But, watch out! It makes you cry! I'm sure you've seen it before. I think every female in this world has. They build homes for families in some sort of need.
Try Bed, Bath and Beyond or Pier One. Sears actually has some great stuff too.

Christina said...

Oh, and about the gardening. I'd give you advice on that, but it's not really my cup of tea since I'm allergic to most things outdoors it seems. haha. I can't really do things in the dirt, grass and flowers without getting sick unfortunately.

Jessica said...

Hey girl! Hobby Lobby and Kirklands are my favorite places to get home decor. Also, I love the prints that Mardels has...but those are for when there's a little extra money...or a Christmas gift. Our flower bed has nandina, lantana, day lillies, knock out roses and hibiscus. With the exception of the hibiscus, these all made it through the hot summer well last year, and are drought hardy. The hibiscus is supposed to be the same, but we just planted it a week ago...so I can't tell you for sure on that one. Be careful with the lantana and nandina though, they will take over if you're not careful. Don't be afraid to trim them back!! The day lillies and roses are my favorite because they are so pretty and bright. Hope this helps! :)